Sunday, August 7, 2011

Tour Of Elk Grove

We landed in Chicago on Thursday (mid-day) and went to our host house, got settled in for about 5 minutes and then we turned around to have a dinner with the sponsors. Other teams joined and it was basically an opening ceremony for the sponsors. Robin and Janel Holcomb (Colavita) were called up to be interviewed and the race began from there!! Robin and Janel went head to head, talking about who's team was better, but in a funny way!

We woke up the next morning and found out one of our teammates had to go home due to family situations. Our team of 4 shrunk to a team of 3, and I knew I had to really step up to the plate for this stage race.

It came time to race, stage 1 was a 4.5 mile flat time trial. I had one of my best races. Kurt (my director) followed behind me in the car, he was yelling to me to go "Harder", "Shift up!", and "GO Go Go!". I think that helped me a lot, I almost caught my minute man! I ended up 24th, which was my best finish in the pro women's field.

Anne won the time trial and we are preparing to defend the yellow jersey for the rest of the stages. With Colavita and Tibco, who have a full team of 8 and 7 riders, we have our work cut out for us.

Yesterday in the crit, we held on to the yellow. Even though Anne got no time bonuses yesterday, she is still in the lead by 6 seconds to Janel Holcomb.

Today is the last stage, a crit. If Anne wins the yellow jersey, it will be a huge accomplishment, a team of 3 defends the jersey against teams that have full squads!

More to come after the final stage today! Wish us luck and look for updates on Twitter, following @Kurt_Stockton

No comments:

Post a Comment